Mohawk Creek

Project Description

This project removed invasive species and planted riparian areas. This site is in a priority area identified by the Nature Conservancy and by Oregon Department of Environmental Quality for achieving TMDL goals. The site is 6.28 acres and is in a rural golf course setting. The expected ecosystem benefits are water temperature reduction and Salmon Habitat enhancement. The project sponsor intends to register and retire all credits received to test and demonstrate crediting system. --from www.willamettepartnership.org

Project Map

Publicly Accessible: Yes
County: Lane County, OR
Project Size:
  • 6.28 acres

Project Sites

  • Mohawk Creek crediting pilot program

Goals and Targets

Primary Motivations:

  • Conservation Mission

Primary Goals:

  • Reduce water temperature
    Progress: Riparian planting will take place in the winter of 2009 and the winter of 2010
  • Enhance salmon habitat
    Progress: Invasive species removal was 75% complete in October 2009 and the remaining 25% will be completed in October 2010. Riparian planting will take place in the winter of 2009 and the winter of 2010
  • See link at right for document name Mohawk Creek for credit portfolio estimate.

Consistent With Plans:

  • Nature Conservancy Ecoregional Plan
    Identified as a priority area
  • Other
    TMDL

Targeted Habitats:

  • Human Habitats
    • Urban and Residential
      • Rural Residential (Low Intensity Developed)
  • Wetlands and Riparian Habitats

Targeted Species:

No targeted species were identified for this project.

Conservation Actions

Action Status Start Year End Year
Plant native riparian, wetland or aquatic vegetation In Progress 2009 --
Start and end years are approximate
Control invasive plants In Progress 2009 --
Start and end years are approximate
Research In Progress 2009 --
Test and demonstrate crediting system

Outcomes

Is the success of this project's actions being monitored? No/Unknown

Lessons Learned and/or Suggestions for Similar Activities
This Freshwater Trust pilot is recommended as one of three that represents geographic diversity and consistency with relatively simple credit methodology actions. A major driver for these projects is the desire of the Sponsor and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality to fund and retire temperature credits to demonstrate application of a credit trading system.

Quick Facts

Owning Organization

Defenders of Wildlife

Managing Organization

Willamette Partnership
(Non-Governmental Organization)

Contact Information

Bobby Cochran (Executive Director)
Willamette Partnership
Website

General Information

Project #: 100604
Last Updated: April 20, 2012

Project Relations

Partners

Freshwater Trust
Jubitz Family Foundation
Oregon DEQ
Parametrix

Links

Willamette Partnership

Copyright © 2018 NatureServe. All Rights Reserved.